In Testsigma, Step group is a reusable set of Test Steps that are used together to perform a task.
For Example, logging into an Application (Web / Mobile) is common for many Test Cases. So, we can create a Step Group with the steps required for a login process and later we can use the same Step Group whenever we need to perform login process thus avoiding duplicate creation of same steps.
In Testsigma, Step Groups are similar to Test Cases. Two main differences are:
- Step Groups cannot be run on their own. They need to be added to a Test Case for execution.
- Test Data Profiles cannot be associated to Step Groups since it needs to be reusable in multiple Test Cases - Why can't Test Data Profiles be associated to Step Groups?
Please refer to this article for more details on Creating a Test Case - How to add/edit/delete Automated testcase?
Create Step Group
Navigation: Test Development > Test Cases
Once you reach the Test Case page, click on the Create Step Group button on the top right corner to open the Create Step Group wizard as shown below:
Clicking on the Take me to a detailed form reveals a few additional options.
Enter the following details:
Name/ Title (Required): Enter a title for the Test Case.
Description: Enter a meaningful description for this Test Case elaborating about it.
Requirement (Required): Select the previously added requirement under which you want to add this particular Test Case.
Assignee: Select the user (testing team member) to whom you want to assign this Test Case to.
Status (Required): Select the appropriate status for the Test Case.
- Draft - Test Case is in an abstract form.
- Review - Test Case is under inspection.
- Ready - Test Case is active and ready to be executed.
- Obsolete - Test Case is no longer valid.
- Needs to be updated - Test Case needs to be modified to be valid.
Note: Test Cases in a ready state only will be available for execution.
Here's a sample input for a Step Group that consists of Login action steps:
Click on Create button to Create the Step Group. We would get a success notification for Step Group Creation.
Now, you can start adding Test Steps in this Step Group now just as you add Test Steps in a Test Case. Please refer the following article for more details on adding Test Steps: