Objective - How to Setup Testsigma Agent?
Need for a Testsigma Agent
- To run Web application test cases on browsers installed on your local machine
- To record UI identifiers for Mobile applications both Android and iOS
- To run mobile application test cases on local Android and iOS devices
We can achieve the above objectives by running a small utility program named 'Testsigma Agent on your local machine. The Agent will do the required configuration, avoiding the hassles of multiple configurations and allow for end-users to concentrate on managing Test Cases and Quality.
Setting up Testsigma Agent on your local machine
- Download Testsigma Agent
Extract the Testsigma Agent Zip file
Start the Testsigma Agent Server
Register the Testsigma Agent to your Testsigma Account
I. Download Testsigma Agent
Click on the Agents Icon on the left side panel which will navigate you to the Agents page.
Download the Testsigma Agent by clicking on the Download Agent button on the Agent page as shown below:
If you face any download issues, please download it from here manually.
II. Extract the Testsigma Agent Zip file
Extract the archive somewhere in your home directory to avoid file access permission issues. Here are the suggested locations to place the extracted Testsigma Agent folder:
|Operating System||Preferred Agent location|
Replace the <your_username> part with your Account username. The home directory is recommended so as to avoid hassles of setting file permissions and ownership and also to avoid file corruption due to constant syncing with iCloud or Google Drive.
III. Start the Testsigma Agent Server
1. Navigate to the Testsigma Agent installation folder and double-click on the start.bat file.
Wait for the "Started TestsigmaAgent in X ms" message to come up. Your Testsigma Agent server is up and running now.
1. Open Terminal and navigate to Testsigma Agent directory where you extracted the agent.
[/] - [$] cd /Users/username/TestsigmaAgent
2. Start the Testsigma Agent by executing the start.sh file:
[/Users/username/TestsigmaAgent] - [$] ./start.sh
The agent will start running as a background process. Wait for a few seconds. Your Testsigma Agent server is up and running now.
IV. Register the Testsigma Agent
A. Checking Agent running status
Once the Agent has started you will get a System Tray icon. The status will show as STARTED once it's ready. If it is showing the status as STARTING, please wait for a few moments for it to start.
The same icon can be used to Quit and Restart the Agent.
B. Connecting the Agent to Testsigma App
1. Once your Testsigma agent is up and running, click on the Agent tab on the Left-hand side Navigation bar.
2. On the Agent page click on Add a new Agent
It will try to establish a connection to the agent running on your machine as shown below:
3. If Agent is not running you will get the following error:
4. Enter a title/name for your machine and click on the Save button.
By default, Agent will be Visible to Everyone. You can make this agent private to your account by unchecking Visible to Everyone. Also, the values given for HTTP and HTTPS port can be left as it is. Only if you want to run the agent on different ports, change the values.
5. Once you have entered the Title, click on save to save the Agent. After saving, the agent that you registered will be displayed with all the available browsers in that Agent machine:
Starting the Execution
We assume that you are already on the Test Case details page trying to create a Dry Run or on the Test Plans page trying to create a Test Plan.
If not, create a new Test Plan/Dry Run, select Local Devices as Test Lab Type, and select your newly added Agent.
Welcome to the era of #SmartTestAutomation!