Prerequisite: How to add / edit / delete a Test Case?
Navigation: Test Development > Test Cases > Select Test Case
Check the following video to know how to create Test Steps:
If you would like a detailed guide, please check below section.
Adding Test Steps
After selecting the Test Case, we will be taken to the Test Case details page where we can create the Test Steps by clicking on the Create Test Steps button. When the Create Test Step button is clicked, we will be taken to Create Test Step page that looks like given below:
Natural Language option allows you to create Test Steps using an extensible set of commands in Simple English.
Start by entering the action that you want to perform in simple English in the Action Text field. As you enter the action, the Testsigma interprets the action you are trying to perform and presents a drop-down list of available commands and you can select the required command by clicking on it.
Note: If you can't find suggestions for your entered action, you may also use the help(?) button to show the Examples section. From Examples tab, Select the action from the list and click on one of the suggested templates to auto-fill in the Action Text box.
Let us take an example to make this more clear with an example. Suppose you want to automate two actions:
- Going to a Web Page such as OrangeHRM
- Entering your username in the username field
For the first step, you can start by typing 'go' in the Action text field. A number of suggestions would show up and you can click on the suggestion Go to test data.
test data is what you need to replace with the actual data for the Test Step i.e. URL in this case. It can be any data such as a username or email "email@example.com".
- Double click on the test data part and replace it with the URL for OrangeHRM Webpage - http://opensource-demo.orangehrmlive.com
- The Test Step becomes Go to http://opensource-demo.orangehrmlive.com
- Click on Create and Continue to create and add next Step.
Note: You can either enter the value manually or make use of one of the Test Data types available in Testsigma. Please refer this article for more details on Test Data Types - Different types of Test Data and their usage in Testsigma?
For the second step, you can start by typing 'enter' in the Action text field. A number of suggestions would show up and you can click on the suggestion Enter test data in the element UI Identifier field.
UI Identifier is what you need to replace with the name of the element of field on your web page. If you are new to Testsigma, check this - What is UI Identifier?
- Double click on the test data part and replace it with the username value, say Admin
- Double click on the UI Identifier part and replace it with a suitable name for the field on your web page, say Username. Once the UI Identifier name is entered, you will see a notification to create the UI Identifier if its not created yet. Please refer this article for more details on creating a UI Identifier - How to Create UI Identifiers using Testsigma Chrome Recorder?
- The Test Step becomes Enter Admin in the element Username field
- Click on Create to create the Step.
Note: If you prefer, you may also create UI Identifiers beforehand and select them while creating Test Steps. This way, you will get suggestions from the list of UI identifiers you already created. Please refer this article for more details on creating and managing UI Identifiers - How to manage UI Identifiers?
While creating the Test Step,
- Click on the Clear button on the right side to clear the Test Step and start from the beginning.
- Click on the Settings button to specify additional options - Advanced Settings on Test Steps
After entering all the values,
- Click on Create and Continue button to create the current Test Step and simultaneously open the Create Test Step wizard for creating the next Test Step.
- Click on Create button to create the Step and takes us back to the Test Step details page.