To give you an overview, in this chapter, we will cover the basics of test case creation using simple English. We will be explaining this through the same test case that was demonstrated in chapter 3, “Testsigma Sample Application”.
Some of the concepts we use in this chapter are already introduced in previous chapters. So, if you have not gone through “Preconditions of working with Testsigma”, “Install Chrome Extension”, “Testsigma Sample Application”, “Create a Project” and “Create UI identifiers” yet, please go through them now and come back to this chapter.
We’d expect that you already have an account with Testsigma. Also, you should have created a new project in your account. That will help us explain the steps better and for you to understand them much better.
Now, let’s dive in to create a new test case!
1. Login to Testsigma with your login credentials. On successful login, you will be taken to the dashboard page.
2. On the dashboard page, at the top left, you will see a project selected. If the sample project you had previously created is displayed there, you can skip to the next step. Otherwise, you will have to select a project from the drop-down or create a new Project from there. This section is also highlighted in the screenshot below:
3. After a project is selected, we can create a test case. For this, go to “Test Development” section in the menu on the left, as shown below:
4. When you click on “Test Development” for any project, a ‘Test Cases’ page should open as below:
5. To add a test case, click on the button with “+ Test Case” on top of the page, as also highlighted below:
6. The next page will ask you to install the Testsigma Chrome extension if you have not done that already. To install the Testsigma chrome extension, check Chapter 2.
7. Once the Testsigma Chrome extension is installed, the ‘Create Test Case’ page appears similar to the screenshot below:
8. To create the test case, fill in the Name and Description, and Tap on the ‘Create’ button at the top right corner.
9. Once the test case is successfully created, you will see a message in the UI that says “Test case successfully created” and a “Test Case Details” page should open up:
10. Now that we are ready to start creating the test case, let’s look at the test case we are going to automate. It will include the below steps:
- Navigate to Simply Travel website login page: https://travel.testsigma.com/login
- Enter username - admin
- Enter password - 12345
- Tap on Login button
- Verify the URL is https://travel.testsigma.com/?name=admin&password=12345&action=
- Check the checkbox - Non-Stop
- Tap on Departure Date picker
- Tap on OK
- Tap on Search Flight
Now let us see how to Add Test-steps:
1. Navigate to Simply Travel website(travel.Login)
- As you can see in the screenshot above when you start creating a test case. By default, the first step starts with “Navigate to”. This is because you need to go to a URL to initiate testing.
- Next to “Navigate to”, paste the URL of the website we are testing here: travel.testsigma. It should look like below:
- Click on create. The first step is now created!
2. we will type the second step, which is to Enter "admin" in the Username field. To look for the appropriate NLP grammar, start typing “Enter”. A dropdown with various Enter actions will appear like below:
- Because we have the UI identifier already captured and we need to Select on the most suitable NLP grammar i.e. “Enter test data in the UI identifier field”
- When you select it, the “UI identifier” text will be in green:
- When the text is deleted, the ui identifiers available in the repository will appear for you to select as below:
- From here you can select “Username”. We had already created this ui identifier earlier in the previous chapter to have the next step as:
- Now, Tap on the “Create” button.
3. Similarly, enter "12345" in the Password field:
4. Next, Tap on the Login button:
5. Verify that the current page URL is: https://travel.testsigma.com/?name=admin&password=12345&action=
6. Check the checkbox - Non_Stop:
7. Next, we will need to select the date options. To select the date, Here we will add three more steps:
- To Tap on Departure Date Picker
- Tap on Ok Button.
- Tap on Search Flight Button.
Above steps are added in steps 7, 8, and 9:
8. Now This is what the Whole Test case looks like,
With this, you have completed Create a Test Case of the Sample Application. In the Next chapter “Run Test Cases” you will learn how to run the Test Cases on different Test Labs.