To understand how to troubleshoot issues related to URLs, please have a look at the below items.
Always ensure that the Application URL / Website URL is Proper, Accessible & Running before you can run your test case.
Follow these steps to verify the validity of a URL:
1. Copy & Paste the URL onto the browser's address bar and verify the site is accessible
2. Ensure the URL is written properly in your test case
3. Make note of any VPN connections that are required to run this application
Answer a few questions before we go ahead:
- Is your application/website currently under development?
- Is your application/website currently hosted on your personal machine?
- Is your application/website hosted on a company server that cannot be accessed by external users on the internet?
- Does your application require VPN access for a secure connection?
In the above scenarios, Testsigma's cloud servers will not be able to access the website/application and will require the installation of the Testsigma Agent.
Testsigma Agent is a simple software that can be downloaded from the Agents page.
The following steps explain how agents can be installed and tests are run on local applications.
1. Navigate to the Agents page
2. Click on Download Agent
This will download the Agents zip file specifically for your machine's operating system.
3. Unzip the folder and copy the folder to a different folder. For example /Users/username/all applications
4. Navigate to the folder and observe the files. Find below a screenshot for the folder on Mac computer
5. Here is a list of files and their usage
Windows: start.bat -> Double click on this file or run it from the command prompt on Windows to start the Agent
stop.bat -> Double click on this file or run it from the command prompt on Windows to stop the Agent
Alternately, you can press Ctrl + C on the command prompt from your keyboard to stop the Agent
Mac OS / Linux : start.sh --> Run the ./start.sh command on terminal to start the Agent
stop.sh--> Run the ./stop.sh command on terminal to stop the Agent
An example for the Mac OS is shown here :
You will be able to observe the Testsigma Agent tray icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
Please observe the screenshot below: When the Agent starts, a green testsigma icon is visible in the tray.
6. Now, navigate to the Agents page and click on "Add a new Agent"
7. Change the name from "localhost" to a name with which you can identify this Agent in the future
8. Now your Agent is registered and ready to be used
9. Now, when you write a test case with a locally hosted application
Now you are ready to run tests on your local application.