Every page on a mobile application consists of UI elements like buttons, text area, input fields, dropdowns, etc. Each element requires a locator to be accessed programmatically. The locators can be xpaths , IDs, className, etc which are used to uniquely identify these elements on Android and iOS apps.
In Testsigma, these locators are called UI Identifiers. This article provides step-by-step instructions to record UI Identifiers.
1. Navigate to the Test Development
2. Click on UI Identifiers
3. Click on Create
4. There are two ways of creating UI Identifiers. Manual and using the Element Inspector.
5. Manual - Different Identifier Types can be chosen from the drop down menu and accordingly values can be entered in the input field corresponding to that element
6. Element Inspector - For the element inspector to run, you need the Testsigma Agent to be in running state
7. Navigate to the Agents page
8. Click on Download Agent
- This will initiate the download of a Testsigma Agent zip file of size around 490 Megabytes
- Unzip the zip file
- Navigate inside the extracted Agent folder
- Windows - Run the start.bat file
- Linux / Mac - Run the start.sh file by using the command ./start.sh on the terminal
9. Once the Agent program starts running and you see a green Testsigma icon on the tray, click Add a new Agent
10. This will register the Agent to the Testsigma Account
11. Navigate back to the UI Identifier creation page and choose Element Inspector
12. Click on Launch
13. Choose Cloud Device, version, and a device
14. Choose an app that you have already uploaded from the Uploads page. In this case, we will use the WordPress APK file
15. Click on record
16. The element inspector will load the application
17. Follow the number instructions in the above image. Click on the arrow icon, then the login button
18. Now Enter a name for the UI Identifier, a screen name and click Done
You just created your first UI Identifier.